Monday, October 18, 2010

I Need to Slow Down

I need to slow down.  In multiple ways.  One way is the usual - I spend too much time and energy thinking about the weekend and wishing I could just get through the week.  I like to think that this feeling will go away after this first year teaching at Century, but I know myself too well.  I've created a habit that is currently and will continue to be very difficult to break.

The other way is with school.  Apparently it's considered just fine to not following the pacing guide at all and therefore not finish covering the required chapters by the time the final rolls around.  I think that is ridiculous, but at the same time, it's ridiculous how many gaps the kids have in their knowledge.  I don't want to stop Algebra 2 right now and go back, because I just started the quadratics chapter, but I am going to try and slow it down and also go back and review all the other stuff.  Geometry I haven't figured out yet.

I wish someone had told me at the beginning a) just how many gaps the kids were going to have because while I knew they would have forgotten stuff, what I've witnessed is just absurd and b) that apparently we can get behind the pacing guide (as long as it isn't public knowledge or something).  Now I feel like hindsight is 20-20 and I have to deal with it.  And of course, that information came out today and now I'm scared that Mister or Madame Backstabber, whoever it is, is going to talk crap on me again.

But, whatever.  They don't make the decisions.  And the person who does make the decisions gave me a good first evaluation.  So there.

Speaking of evaluations and observations and such, I have an observation tomorrow from the people who will decide if I'm allowed to do BTSA Early Completion.  My fingers are crossed that it goes well.  I don't know which class they're coming to, which is aggravating.  I'm prepared either way of course, but it's still annoying.

Oh yeah, I had a fabulous birthday.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment