Monday, October 24, 2011

Weekend in Solvang

The weekend was lovely.  Truly lovely.  My mom gave us $10 to get Starbucks on the drive, just because.  I love my mommy.

We hit some traffic driving up on Friday night, but it was mainly due to accidents.  Once we got to Ventura and beyond it was smooth sailing and we got in around 9:30/10:00.  Albertsons was the place of choice for dinner: a salad for me, sandwich and chips for Mat, and two pints of Ben n Jerrys.  No, of course we didn't eat both that night....

On Saturday we had the free hotel breakfast which wasn't anything special.  Apples provided much needed fruit nutrition, and I had an English muffin toasted with butter and jam.  Mat loved the waffle maker.  And the frosted flakes.  The sad thing about this breakfast was that there was no protein unless you count the milk.  Where we usually stay there's yogurt and hard boiled eggs, but it wasn't a big deal.

We took advantage of four, yes FOUR wine tastings that day.  It wouldn't have been so many except that we had a coupon for buy one get one free at two different tasting rooms.  I hadn't been in the best of moods for a good week or so, so it was definitely my (bad) influence that caused us to do all four.  However, we spaced them out throughout the day.  I will say though that I was basically tipsy all day and had definitely been VERY tipsy after the first one.

We bought a bottle of Buttonwood Winery's port wine which is actually called "P.O.S.H."  I LOVE it.  And it will be an awesome bottle for our centerpieces.  :)

Saturday's dinner was Carl's Jr.  Yes, fast food.  In my defense I basically never eat fast food, and we were hungry and it was close by and cheap.

I was pathetic at taking pictures this trip, probably because it was a quick one.  Oh and the fact that I had a lot of wine...

But it was OH SO WORTH IT.  Getting away was JUST what the doctor ordered, even if coming back to reality was not pleasant at all.

A couple of pictures, the whole 5 that I took:


The town is having a scarecrow contest.  These were probably my favorite of the ones I saw.


No comments:

Post a Comment