Sunday, July 24, 2011

Interesting, and Comforting, Information

*If you're a guy or squeamish about girl topics in any way, I suggest skipping this post*

I've started reading several healthy living blogs.  I found on one of the women's blogs an entry about not getting her period even though she was on birth control.  And, she was "healthy as a horse" according to her doctor.  When I read that, I thought, "No way!  Excellent, I'm not the only one whose body freaks out despite the pill!"  Technically this hasn't happened, but I have been on the pill since October and have still had some weird periods, so obviously my body is still whacked out.

I'm supposed to start my period today-ish.  By today-ish, I mean anytime in the next day or so.  Usually, I start the 4 placebo pills on a Sunday but don't see much of anything til around Monday night.  Sometimes it's been later than that, sometimes right on target, and a couple of times I would spot for about a week before the placebos and continue spotting through the placebo days and never get a full-blown "regular" period.

Will I start today-ish?  I have no idea.  I think I remember some mild cramping about a week ago, which has happened before.  Last month was one of those weird spotting months, and I've been steadily increasing my running over the last month too.  I haven't necessarily increased my exercise, but I suppose the change in the kind of exercise and the constant cardio could have something to do with it.

In any case, I then did some googling and found this.  It made me feel a lot better, because at least there's some sort of research (at least, I assume this article is based on research) saying that women can indeed skip a period even on birth control when they aren't pregnant.  Since I need to call my gynecologist for that lovely yearly appointment anyway, I plan to ask about this and see what happens.  In the meantime, I really like knowing I'm not the only one dealing with this stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Healthy living blogs are great in that you find out that people deal with alot of the same stuff! I have a (mild) obsession with them - my boyfriend would say that I spend too much time on the computer. They really have opened my eyes to new foods, new ways of working out, and how to live a more full life. I also feel that writing my own blog has given me a new way to express myself and be creative. I think they are awesome basically. All of the ones on my blog roll I highly reccommend! While I read alot of blogs - I need to start posting on my own blog more and also comment on other blogs - otherwise people do not know that you are out there. I am actually going to the Healthy Living Summit which is put on by some of the most popular bloggers in Philly this August - and I am excited to meet them in person!

    ReplyDelete