Thursday, July 7, 2011

On Running

16 days ago Mat and I went for a run.  It was Tuesday, June 21st.  I had been talking about actually taking up running ever since a random run I went on about a week and a half before that in an effort to clear my head after a crappy day at work.  That day, we went around 11:30 am.  It was a stupid idea.  It was already quite warm out, and I don't think I waited long enough after eating.  We only ran 1.5 miles, but I felt pretty nauseous when we still had at least a quarter of a mile to go.  I managed to finish anyway because I hate giving up (and because I didn't want to make him stop) but I was very irritated and had an "I hate running" mentality again.

Then, the next day, I went for another 1.5 mile run on my own around 7 am.  This was MUCH better.  Yeah, I was a little sore from the day before, but I wasn't dying or anything.  The weather was much more suitable for a run and I hadn't eaten anything yet.

I started running for 3 days in a row and would then take one day off (but would still walk or bike or something).  I increased to 1.75 miles a week and a day after that first hot run on the 21st and kept at that pace until today when I did 2 miles.

2 miles isn't much, but for someone who has never really been into running, getting to 2 miles in 16 days (and doing it in roughly 20 minutes, though I think it was just under 20) is pretty cool.  I'm quite proud of myself.

My hope is to increase to 2.5 miles in another week or so, and be at a 5k (3.2 miles) in at least a month.  By the end of the summer, I would love to be between 4 and 5 miles.  Eventually, I want to be able to run a half marathon.  In theory I would also love to run a full marathon, but that's going to take much more serious training that I don't know I can commit to right now.  (You know, with a wedding coming up and all).

I think I have a new addiction.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment