Monday, August 30, 2010

First Day

This one will be brief as it is already 10:11 pm, I left my house at 6:00 this morning, and didn't get home until almost 9:00 this evening.

The first day was a success.  I got through the recitation of my syllabus, rules, etc all five times, and I think I'm going to have some good little students.  I cannot seem to bring myself to do the "don't smile until after Thanksgiving" thing, so I was my usual bubbly self.  But, I don't think that's going to negatively affect anything.  They will learn real quick that if they screw up or mouth off they'll be in trouble.  I really do think that you can't discipline a kid unless you first show them that you care.  That way, if and when you discipline, you aren't just being a b**** but rather are showing the offender that you care about them and want them to succeed.  And that's what this year is all about!

Now, tomorrow I have to actually teach.  Oy vey.  But it should be good.  The kids will have to work in groups to figure out how to do a problem, and I'm sure they'll be thrown for a loop.  Muahaha!  :-P  They will get used to it though.

I decided to buy those protractors and compasses.  Since I had kind of planned on having access to them this week I had to make a fast decision.  As long as they work well, I can reuse them forever so it was a worthwhile purchase.

And now, it's off to bed for Ms. White.  Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment